A cat died and a Central Emeryville home was damaged early Thursday AM in a house fire reportedly sparked by a bathroom candle according to an Alameda County Fire spokeswoman. Nobody living in the home or fire department personnel were injured.
Fire crews responded around 5 AM to the blaze at this two-story house at 5504 Beaudry Street. Former Councilmember Jennifer West, who lives around he corner at the Doyle Street Co-Housing Community, says she was awoken to the sound of water pumps but did not hear any sirens. West also mentioned that the residents that lived there were elderly and apparently had lived in Emeryville for several generations.
Investigators said an unattended candle in the bathroom ignited the room, and that there was extensive smoke and water damage to the home. The outside of the home appeared fairly weathered and it was unclear if the damage would require a complete demolition of the older property.
A fundraising campaign for the occupants has been established on GoFundMe →